Click here for a printable version of this document - (PDF PDF Icon 187.7 kb)

As a parent it’s good to know about services available in your area. They can give you some help when you need it.

Things we might need support for:Support

Sometimes we need help with things such as our:

Contact details of some services that may be able to help are provided at the end of this guide.

When there are problems try to:

Tell your children what’s happening —but not too much about adult problems.

Getting support and dealing with problems early can stop them getting worse.

Your rights and responsibilities

Your rights

When using a service you have the right to:

Your responsibilities

When using a service:


Services are bound by confidentiality. A worker or service cannot share information about you with other services or people in the community, unless you give permission or a child or someone else is at risk of harm.

Try both mainstream and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services.

Ask if they have Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander workers, if you prefer.

Stay calm, it helps children to feel safe and secure.

Services for children

There are lots of services available.

Keep trying until you find one that’s right for you!

Looking for more information

ParentLink - for other parenting guides, online parenting information:

Child and Family Centres - for parenting information and support

Raising Children’s Network - covering topics for parenting newborns to teens

Gugan Gulwan Youth Aboriginal Corporation t 6296 8900

Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service t 6284 6222

Relationships Australia Dhunlung Yarra Service is dedicated to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples t 6122 7100

This guide’s content was produced by Parenting SA, Women’s and Children’s Health Network.

© Department of Health and Ageing, Government of South Australia (revised 02/16). Reproduced with permission and adapted by the ACT Government to reflect Australian Capital Territory laws (05/17).

Important: This information is not intended to replace advice from a qualified practitioner.

Published by ParentLink
Community Services Directorate, GPO Box 158, Canberra ACT 2601, email, telephone 13 34 27.

ACT Government Publication No. 17/0604 (June 2017)

The text for this topic is copyright Parenting SA, Government of South Australia.